Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Could Your Pet Start a Fire?

Bison Fire's Could Your Pet Start a Fire

What do you think of when you think about the steps needed to keep your home safe from a fire? Some things that come to mind probably include testing your smoke alarms, not leaving candles unattended, and being careful when cooking with grease and oil… but what about your pet?

That’s right: our furry friends can accidentally start fires by knocking over candles, knocking into tables and lamps, or spreading hot ashes from an ashtray or fireplace. In fact, the National Fire Protection Association states that about 500 house fires a year are caused by pre-related accidents.

Worried your furry friend may put your home at risk? Follow these pet-friendly fire safety tips:

Be Careful Where You Use Candles

Candles are great for setting a romantic mood, adding ambience to a space, or for visibility during a power outage, but the flickering lights can look attractive to cats and can be knocked over accidentally.

Instead of worrying about your candles getting jostled by your pet, consider investing in electric, battery-powered candles. Not only are these “wickless” candles less messy than typical candles, but they won’t start a fire if they get knocked over by a curious or overly-excited pet.

Remove Knobs on the Stove

Many of us are familiar with large, friendly dogs who love to “counter surf” by standing on their hind legs in order to see the action happening on the counter or out the kitchen window.

The NFPA reports that stove and cooktop fires are the fires most commonly started by pets, so if you live with one of these curious canines, consider removing the stove knobs located on the front of your stove, as they could get turned on by accident.

Prevent Deck Fires With the Right Outdoor Dishes

Wooden deck fires can start when light from the sun filters through glass or bowls that may have been left on the desk as food and water dishes for outdoor or neighbourhood pets.

If you leave food or water outside on the deck, make sure to use ceramic or stainless steel dishes that won’t amplify the sun’s rays and possibly ignite the deck.

If you live in in Winnipeg, Brandon, Thompson, Kenora, Regina, or Saskatoon contact the experts at Bison Fire Protection by calling 866-441-3473 today to schedule an appointment with a fire safety experts.

Together We Can Make The World A Safer Place

Posted by Rob Read at 2:40 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Name

Email

Website (optional)

(Example: http://www.domain.com)